Got inspired to make a “uses” after seeing a few people online blog what they like using for things - I’m eternally curious and it’s a nice window into what people like.
Make sure to check out uses.tech for a list of everyone’s /uses pages!
I’m a Product Designer and occasional Developer who has been working on the internet since about 2000, so this list would have changed a lot if I’d had one back then!
- Macbook Pro 14 inch M1 with 16GB - bought for myself when I started my new job in 2022. It’s not quite big enough for Figma, but perfect for coding.
- Apple Studio Display - it’s a lovely monitor, and I’m glad I got one, but there are def cheaper more flexible options out there now.
- Logitech MX Keys - lovely low profile keyboard with black chicklet keys.
- Figma - pretty much the defacto now in the product design community. There are still a lot of Sketch users out there (a great native mac option).
- Raycast - I used to use Alfred, as my mac launcher, but quickly jumped on the Raycast wagon. Great Figma, Linear integration, and use it to arrange all my windows, and do things like adjust volume.
- Cleanshot X - I probably use this hundreds of times a day to make and annotate screenshots, as well as record short video walk throughs. Beautifully designed and the cloud option is well worth the money.
- Linear - we use this at work to manage projects, and it’s the gold standard in issue tracking software.
- Craft - my note take of choice, with IAWriter and Bear in a close second.
- VSCode - Microsoft now dominate the scene with this excellent free code editor.
- iPhone 15 Pro - bought mainly for a better camera, upgrading a 12.
- Apple watch S4 - does everything I need so no reason to upgrade.
Over the years I was a Canon guy, then Fuji, then Nikon, and currently back with Fujifilm. All are good, it’s just my photographic needs have changed over the years, moving from wedding photography to landscape to street.
- Fuji XT5 Camera body - nice and small with IBIS and waterproof. Lovely sensor that doesn’t exhibit any of the weird worminess that older Bayer sensors did.
- FujiFilm 16-80 f4 - great all-rounder for travel. Enough zoom.
- FujiFilm 35mm f2 WR - this was the first cheap fuji prime I got when I switched back.
- Sigma 30mm f1.4 Fuji X mount - still evaluating, but bought second hand for a slightly wider and shallower view for street portraits.
- Pilot G-Tec C4 Pens - buy these in bulk - best pen out there.
- leuchtturm1917 notebooks - great A5 haradback notebooks.