Talk - Running Design Discovery workshops
Here's a run through practice video of my talk given at UXCamp Brighton 2018 - Planning and Running Design Discovery workshops with your customers.
Areas covered included:
- What a design discovery workshop is (and isn't).
- Understanding customer insights.
- The importance of research and planning.
- Dealing with big feature lists.
- Keeping energy levels up.
- Asking the right kinds of questions.
- The power of design 'artifacts' and visual language.
- Improvisation techniques.
- Preparing participants.
- Structuring a workshop.
- Exercises you can try.
- ...and finally documenting a workshop.
I went with a general Indiana Jones theme as that seemed apt for Discovery. Thanks for all those that attended and spoke - it was a really great day!
Books I recommend in the talk:
Building Products - by Laura Klein,
UX Team of One by Leah Buley,
Practical Design Discovery by Dan Brown
and finally Game Storming by Dave Gray